University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota LibrariesOnline Finding Aids
space Home | About Us | Search Tips | Finding Aids FAQ | View Basket |
Alan Arkin Collection

Summary Information
Title: Alan Arkin Collection
Dates: 1972
Creator: Arkin, Alan
Extent: 1 box
Location: See Detailed Descriptions for Each Title Item for Box Locations
Language: English
Collection Number: CLRC-1145
Abstract:
The Alan Arkin Collection contains written production material for one title from 1972, including typescripts and corrected galley proofs.

Repository: University of Minnesota Libraries Children's Literature Research Collections

Access and Use
Access Restrictions:

Collection is open for researchers with no restrictions. Registration with the collection is required.

Copyright:

This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.

Arrangement

Tony's Hard Work Day, 1972

Biographical Sketch

In March of 1934, Alan Wolf Arkin was born in New York to David and Beatrice Arkin, Russian-German Jewish intellects. First attended Los Angeles City College in 1951-1952, followed by a year at Los Angeles State College and finally transferred to Bennington College in 1953. Arkin was a member of a folksinging group called "The Tarriers", that found success across the country touring college campus. Realizing he was displeased with the direction of his life in the group, he retired and began pursuing theatrical work. For the next twenty years, Arkin mastered the theatrical parlance and could be found on all side of the production. In 1972, his first children's book was published, Tony's Hard Work Day . He went on to compose four pieces of work, including an autobiography. Arkin was continuously on a philosophical journey, questioning the demarcation of what is and what is not. He writes, "I used to just question my existence all the time. I guess a lot of people do - it's the 20th century disease, you know, who am I? Well, I don't ask anymore. I don't wake up in the morning and say, who am I? What do I have to do to feel like I'm alive? I already know I'm alive, and since I already know, I don't have to ask."

Biographical source: Something About the Author . Volume 59, 1990.

Collection Scope and Content Note

Subject Terms
Indexing Terms
  • The collection is indexed under the following headings in the catalog of the University of Minnesota Libraries. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons or places should search the catalog using these headings.
  • Arkin, Alan
Collection Contents
 Location  Title

Tony's Hard Work Day 1972 
Note Stevenson, James
New York: Harper, 1972
Box MF 31
typescript, corrected (5 p.)  Box MF 31

galley proof, corrected (2 p.)  Box MF 31