Inventory of the International Institute of Minnesota records, 1920-1971.
International Institute of Minnesota records,
International Institute of Minnesota.
42 linear ft. and
1 microfilm reel.
Language: In English
University of Minnesota Libraries. Immigration History Research Center
Access and Use
The International Institute of Minnesota had its beginnings in 1919, under the auspices of the YWCA. During the 1920s, it offered English and citizenship classes, casework, services, and activities for St. Paul ethnic communities. The first executive director, Alice J. Sickels, came in 1931. Under her direction, the Institute expanded, and also began the St. Paul Festival of Nations. In 1938, the Institute broke from the YWCA, the result of expanding programs in casework and folk art, inclusion of men in programs, and increased service to non-Protestants. During the years prior to World War II, casework emphasized naturalization and resolution of immigrant legal problems. Both during and after World War II, casework services centered on resettlement of displaced persons. The Institute has continued, in various ways, to help the foreign born adjust to American life while retaining their cultural heritage.
Collection Scope and Content Note
Records (ca. 1920-1971) of the International Institute of Minnesota include music, travel literature, case files, correspondence, photographs, minutes of the membership Council and Board of Directors (on microfilm), administrative records, educational program information, department recordss, group services and activities, special programs, projects, and publicatons, community and national contacts, publicity, and miscellany.
Inventory available online.
- This collection is indexed under the following headings in the catalog of the University of Minnesota Libraries. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons or places should search the catalog using these headings.
- Sickels, Alice L. (Alice Lilliequist)
- Festival of Nations (Saint Paul, Minn.)
- St. Paul YWCA (Minn.)
- International Institute (Saint Paul, Minn.)
- Folk festivals--Minnesota--Saint Paul.
- Social settlements--Minnesota--Saint Paul.
- Social work with immigrants--Minnesota--Saint Paul.
- Refugees--Services for--Minnesota--Saint Paul.
- Children of immigrants--Education.