University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota LibrariesOnline Finding Aids
space Home | About Us | Search Tips | Finding Aids FAQ | View Basket |
Kenesseth Israel Congregation Records, undated, 1894-1998

Summary Information
Title: Kenesseth Israel Congregation
Dates: undated, 1894-1998
Creator: Kenesseth Israel Congregation
Extent: 2 boxes (1.0 cubic feet)
Language: Collection materials in English, Yiddish, and German.
Collection Number: umja0008
Abstract:
This collection consists of a wide array of administrative documents relating to Kenesseth Israel Congregation, the Orthodox Synagogue in Minneapolis.

Repository: University of Minnesota Libraries. Nathan and Theresa Berman Upper Midwest Jewish Archives.

Access and Use
Acquisition Information:

Donated by Edmund A. Gottlieb on behalf of the Kenesseth Israel Congregation.

Access Restrictions:

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

Copyright:

Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives; please contact the archives for more detailed copyright information.

Preferred Citation:

Kenesseth Israel Congregation Records, Nathan and Theresa Berman Upper Midwest Jewish Archives, University of Minnesota Libraries, Minneapolis.


Arrangement

The collection is listed below by folder title.


Historical Note

Founded in 1894 on the North Side of Minneapolis, Kenesseth Israel is the oldest Minneapolis synagogue which still is Orthodox. The congregation grew out of two previous congregations--Othel Jacob, founded in 1888 by a group of Lithuanian Jews, and Beth Medrash Hagodol. They eventually merged and were renamed Kenesseth Israel in 1891. In 1892 a rabbi was hired and a building was dedicated in 1894. A Hebrew Free School was created in the same year, the parent of the present-day Talmud Torah. The synagogue constructed a magnificent new building at 518 Lyndale Avenue North and moved there in 1913. They remained there until 1948 when the congregation purchased a building on Plymouth Avenue. They moved to their current location in St. Louis Park in the 1960s.


Collection Scope and Content Note

This collection contains the records of an Orthodox Congregation in Minneapolis from the late nineteenth century to the end of the twentieth century. Includes meeting notes, financial documents, membership information, correspondence, public relations articles, committee reports, and materials relating to associated organizations. Materials are in both English and Yiddish. There are numerous gaps.

Subject Terms
Index Terms
  • This collection is indexed under the following headings in the catalog of the University of Minnesota Libraries. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons or places should search the catalog using these headings.
  • Kenesseth Israel Congregation
  • Kenesseth Israel Synagogue
  • Jews
  • Judaism
  • Jews, American
  • Orthodox Judaism
  • Orthodox Judaism -- United States
  • Synagogues
  • Synagogue records and registers
  • Synagogues -- Membership
  • Synagogues -- Organization and administration
  • Synagogues -- History
  • Talmud Torah (Judaism)
Collection Contents
 Location  Title
Box 1
Board of Directors Meeting Notes, 1929-1939  Box 1 , Folder 1
 
Board of Directors Meeting Notes, 1952-1979, undated  Box 1 , Folder 2
 
Committee and Board Members Lists, 1938-1978, undated  Box 1 , Folder 3
 
By-Laws, undated  Box 1 , Folder 4
 
The Ladies Auxiliary of the Kenesseth Israel Synagogue Materials, 1945-1956, undated  Box 1 , Folder 5
 
Agudat Mizrachi Meeting Notes, 1914-1925  Box 1 , Folder 6
 
The Building Committee's List of Contributors to the Construction of a New Building, Feb. 1912  Box 1 , Folder 7
 
Public Relations Materials, April-May 1938  Box 1 , Folder 8
 
Public Relations Materials, 1953-1998, undated  Box 1 , Folder 9
 
Public Relations Materials, April-May 1938  Box 1 , Folder 10
 
Correspondence regarding the Fulfillment of Positions within the Synagogue, 1894-1923, undated  Box 2 , Folder 1
 
Correspondence in Yiddish and Hebrew, 1905-1921, undated  Box 2 , Folder 2
 
Correspondence in German, undated  Box 2 , Folder 3
 
Correspondence, 1896-1922, undated  Box 2 , Folder 4
 
Correspondence regarding Membership, 1894-1922, undated  Box 2 , Folder 5
 
Membership Lists, 1948-1950, undated  Box 2 , Folder 6
 
Correspondence regarding Financials, 1894-1923, undated  Box 2 , Folder 7
 
Official Financial Statements, 1959-1979, undated  Box 2 , Folder 8
 
Bound Book regarding Income and Disbursements, 1909-1913  Box 2 , Folder 9
 
Income and Disbursements, 1920-1923, undated  Box 2 , Folder 10
 
Minneapolis Kashrut(h) Council Materials, 1957-1968, undated  Box 2 , Folder 11
 
Beth Tawshil Haklali Jerusalem People's Kitchen and Immigrants Sheltering Home Materials, undated  Box 2 , Folder 12
 
Materials relating to the Talmud Torah of Minneapolis, 1907-1960, undated  Box 2 , Folder 13