University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota LibrariesOnline Finding Aids
space Home | About Us | Search Tips | Finding Aids FAQ | View Basket |
Outline View
Data Processing Management Association Records, 1950-1993. Finding Aid.
 Location  Title
 
Camp Warren  
Biographical/History note In 1927, Camp Warren was purchased through the generous Dayton Endowment, including two hundred acres of virgin timberland near Eveleth, Minnesota, near Half Moon and Pleasant Lakes. The property was purchased from a Mrs. O. B. Warren and the camp was named on behalf of her husband. Six cabins were initially built on the property to provide overflow from Camp Icaghowan, and the new camp was filled to capacity from the very first year, 1928. Officially dedicated on July 8, 1929, Camp Warren provided activities such as canoeing, backpacking, horseback riding, tennis, sailing, and group sports. A long-term facility with four or eight week periods, Camp Warren served the entire metropolitan area, focusing on leadership development in a long-term camp setting. If campers wished for a continued wilderness experience, it was hoped that a traditional and consistent environment at Camp Warren could provide the opportunity to build upon existing knowledge and skills.Starting in 1929 under Camp Director John Rowe, emphasis on the importance of the staff in providing the best camping experience was highlighted. Camp Warren's goals "depend on many factors, the most important being the influence of the cabin counselor in collaboration with other staff members in all camp activities." Group athletics during this time had a strong influence on camp life. Developing a fruit and vegetable garden, camp counselors taught urban kids how to cultivate, harvest, and clean fresh produce to be used in the general camp meals. During the Rowe years, attendance remained at capacity and beyond, with return rates so high that space had to be reserved some seasons to accommodate new campers. John Rowe served as director for 33 of the first 43 years of Camp Warren. Due to the interest of boys younger than 10, the age limit set at Camp Warren upon the opening of the camp in 1928, in the summer of 1936 a Cub Camp was established, and eight log cabins were built to scale for the purpose. During World War II, some of the staff and older campers were trained in fire prevention, thus adding to the leadership opportunities at Camp Warren. As natural resources were needed for the war effort, in 1942 the Superior National Forest Rangers with help from the older campers surveyed the surrounding land, selecting trees to be processed. In 1954, the rebuilding of the caretaker's cabin was completed, as well as the establishment of the Ervin Memorial Rifle Range. Self-sustaining through registration and activity fees, Camp Warren also benefitted from a strong community of giving from other organizations, individuals, and parents, including cash, sailboats and supplies, and horses for the horseback riding program in the 1954 season. A fund-raising campaign in 1956 allowed for the lodge basement rebuilding, an addition to the kitchen, new porch floors for the six intermediate cabins, and improvements to the electrical system. During the social upheaval of the 1960-1970 decade, the YMCA struggled to create programming that still resonated with young people. Upon the transition to Camp Director Robert Telleen, a review of the facilities and programs was conducted in 1969-1970, to refresh the camping experience for the teens of the counter-culture revolution. Telleen believed that individualizing the camping experience through an extended stay was one of the basic strengths of the YMCA camping programs. Camp Warren also struggled during this time, to "maintain these strong, basic principles into a philosophy and program which will be meaningful to today and tomorrow's 'urban-oriented' camp in a way which does not merely bring the city into camp but helps prepare the campers for a better relation to and involvement with an urbanized society", according to Telleen. Integrating more diversity into Camp Warren's constituency with few scholarships to offer was a growing concern, as the majority of campers historically came from high middle to upper income families. Finding appropriate camp staff also became more difficult, due to the variety of options afforded to college and graduate students usually tapped for such an assignment. By 1969, Camp Warren offered canoe trips, horseback riding, tennis, athletics, photography, sailing, arts and crafts, drama, archery, shooting, boating, fishing, swimming, leadership training, international camper exchange, life saving, and field trips. The question of updating facilities at the current camp location, maintaining the current camp while creating a satellite camp further into the wilderness, or moving to a new location altogether was thoroughly reviewed during long-range planning for Camp Warren in 1970-1972. Several changes within the area occurred during this time to warrant the discussion, such as select portions of land along Half Moon Lake coming up for sale. With encroaching development, it was speculated that the current Camp Warren site would no longer be unable to provide the same wilderness experience it had provided to so many campers throughout its history. In 1972, Camp Warren served some 500-600 people, but by 1976, the camp had served over 1,300 through major increases in the Fall-Winter-Spring program, family camp, father-son weekends, and "girls weekends".David Silha, a Camp Warren camper for 8 years, a counselor, and finally served as Director of the Canoe tripping program in 1973, was lost in an avalanche while climbing in the Grand Teton mountains of Wyoming in early 1974. In remembrance and celebration of his life, family, friends, and the camp created the David Silha Center for Outdoor Discovery and established a fund for the creation and continuation of extended-trip programs through Camp Warren. By 1976, the Lake Superior/Apostle Islands sailing program offered to train older campers to crew and skipper a deep water cruising sailboat as well as provide a close quarters living situation that requires teamwork and cooperation. In 1977, Camp Warren celebrated its 50th anniversary and a record season for enrollment. The first ever Warren Women's wilderness canoe trip occurred in 1984. The YMCA World Camp program celebrated 100 years in 1985, with 50 US and 50 campers from around the rest of world spending a day at Camp Warren before journeying north. Camp Warren remained a segregated camp, with both girls' and boys' sessions run separately to allow campers to more easily relate to each other and share experiences without many of the social pressures of daily teen life. As of 1994, the camp was organized into three sections, so each section had its own lodge, dining hall, evening and bedtime programming to provide a blend of programming and interaction between campers of various ages as well as a small, medium and large group experiences. The three sessions included: Cub session for campers from 8 to 11 years, the Intermediate section for campers from 11 to 14 years, and the Senior section for campers ranging from 14 to 16 years. In 1998, the first ever week-long Project Camp WWW program was established, under Bruce Konkler, Project Director. The WWW stood for "Warren Work Week", where former Warren campers over age 16 were invited to contribute to the improvement of the camp through various special projects. Family camping during long holiday weekends throughout the year became a large draw for Camp Warren. In 2001, new camper cabins were constructed attached to the existing six cub cabins already on-site.In 2002, Camp Warren celebrated 75 years of life-changing experiences. Over 480 acres, Camp Warren remains a vital part of the YMCA Minneapolis tradition.
Box 136
Activities, undated. ()  Box 136
Box 133
Alumni Association, 1960-1990.  Box 133
 
Board Materials:  
Box 133
Board Meetings, 1972. ( 2 folders. )  Box 133
Box 134
Board Minutes, 1994-1995. ( 2 folders. )  Box 134
Box 139
Board of Directors, 1998.  Box 139
 
Board of Management, 1988.  Box 139
Box 134
Board of Management, 1972-1996. ( 6 folders. )  Box 134
Box 139
Board of Management, 1985.  Box 139
 
Board of Management, Inventories, 1984.  Box 139
 
Board of Management; Agendas, Notes, 2000-2004.  Box 139
Box 134
Committee Minutes, 1940-1964. ( 5 folders. )  Box 134
Box 139
Committees, 1970-1972. ( 3 folders. )  Box 139
 
Contact information, 1997.  Box 139
Box 135
Minutes, 1957-1958.  Box 135
Box 134
Miscellaneous Board Materials, 1985-1986.  Box 134
 
Budget:  
Box 136
Budget and Finance, 1972. ( 2 folders. )  Box 136
Box 49
Budget Hearing Materials, 1973.  Box 49
Box 136
Fee Records, 1940-1960.  Box 136
 
Financial Development, 1972-1976. ( 2 folders. )  Box 136
Box 77
Payroll, 1960-1973.  Box 77
Box 79
Purchase Orders, 1945-1974. ( 9 folders. )  Box 79
 
Camp Information Requested, 1970-1973.  Box 79
Box 139
Camp Study, 1999.  Box 139
Box 136
Camper Admissions, 1972.  Box 136
Box 134
Camper Inquiries, 1970.  Box 134
 
Camper List, 1939.  Box 134
Box 136
Camping Standards, 1966-1968. ( 2 folders. )  Box 136
 
Capital Campaigns:  
Box 139
Campaign, 2003. ( 2 folders. )  Box 139
 
Campaign Plan and Statistics, 2003.  Box 139
Box 136
Campaign Prospects, undated.  Box 136
Box 135
Capital Campaign, 1995. ( 4 folders. )  Box 135
Box 136
Capital Campaign, 1976. ( 3 folders. )  Box 136
 
Capital Fund Campaign, 1962, 1976. ( 2 folders. )  Box 136
 
Endowment, 1972. ( 2 folders. )  Box 136
Box 139
Fundraising, 2002.  Box 139
 
Fundraising Solicitation Samples, 2004.  Box 139
 
Y Partners, 2002.  Box 139
Box 134
Conservation, 1947-1960.  Box 134
 
Correspondence, 1950-1970.  Box 134
Box 135
David Silha Trips, 1975.  Box 135
Box 134
Emblems, 1940-1960.  Box 134
Box 135
Europe Trip, 1986.  Box 135
Box 134
Evaluations, 1930-1969.  Box 134
 
Facilities:  
Box 139
Buildings and Grounds, 1970-1972.  Box 139
Box 134
Cub Lodge, 1961-1962.  Box 134
Box 139
Furnace Resident Manager's Home, 1946-1948.  Box 139
 
Horse Barn, 1966.  Box 139
 
Kitchen Equipment, 1940-1959.  Box 139
Box 79
Light, Power, and Gas, 1929-1963.  Box 79
 
Loan, 1968-1969.  Box 79
 
Lodge, Library Projects, 1960.  Box 79
 
Organ (Electric), undated.  Box 79
 
Outboard Motor, 1960-1965.  Box 79
Box 136
Yacht Policy Office Copy, 1971.  Box 136
Box 134
Game and Fish, 1950-1979.  Box 134
Box 79
Instructions for Office Secretary, 1967-1973.  Box 79
 
Insurance, 1968-1977. ( 3 folders. )  Box 79
Box 135
Insurance, 1961-1972.  Box 135
Box 56
Investigation, 2010.  Box 56
Box 134
Long Range Planning, 1969, 1972. ( 2 folders. )  Box 134
 
Marketing and Communications:  
Box 134
Brochures, 1990-2009.  Box 134
Box 136
Camp Warren Newsenpopple, 1930-1969.  Box 136
Box 79
Local Contacts, 1961-1969.  Box 79
Box 139
Marketing, 2000s. ( 2 folders. )  Box 139
Box 56
Marketing and Public Relations, 1930-1970.  Box 56
Box 79
Marketing and Public Relations, 1938-1966.  Box 79
Box 56
Newsletter Materials, 1950.  Box 56
Box 135
Promotion, 1930-1960, 1973. ( 3 folders. )  Box 135
Box 134
Minnesota Department of Health, 1940-1960. ( 3 folders. )  Box 134
Box 79
Minority Groups, 1969.  Box 79
 
Miscellaneous, 1972. ( 2 folders. )  Box 79
Box 134
Miscellaneous, 1940-1961.  Box 134
Box 135
Miscellaneous, 1980-1990.  Box 135
Box 79
Miscellaneous, Photos and Ephemera, 1950-1969.  Box 79
Box 136
Miscellaneous, Policies and Songs, undated.  Box 136
Box 79
National Council YMCA, 1967-1969.  Box 79
Box 135
National Council YMCA Statistics, 1965-1968.  Box 135
Box 79
North Central Area Council, 1968-1969.  Box 79
Box 135
Parent and Camper Instructions, 1950.  Box 135
Box 139
Program Schedules, 1970-1979.  Box 139
Box 135
Programs, 1972. ( 2 folders. )  Box 135
Box 136
Prospects, 1960. ( 3 folders. )  Box 136
 
Reunions, 1930-1969. ( 4 folders. )  Box 136
 
Rochester Prospects, 1960.  Box 136
Box 135
Scholarship, 1940-1960. ( 2 folders. )  Box 135
 
Scrapbook Camp Center Version, 2003-2005.  Box 135
Box 136
Song List, undated.  Box 136
Box 135
Special Events, 1930-1969. ( 3 folders. )  Box 135
 
Staff:  
Box 79
Kitchen Staff, 1957-1969.  Box 79
Box 136
Personnel, 1972.  Box 136
Box 139
Staff, 1998.  Box 139
Box 136
Staff Committee Recognition, 1965-1969.  Box 136
Box 139
Staff Manual, 1989.  Box 139
Box 56
Staff Meetings and Development, 1938-1964.  Box 56
Box 139
Staff Training Week, 1989.  Box 139
Box 136
Time Sheets, 2002.  Box 136
Box 135
Statistics, 1930-1968. ( 3 folders. )  Box 135
Box 136
Sustaining Members, undated.  Box 136
Box 135
Thank You Letters, 2002-2004. ( 3 folders. )  Box 135
 
Trail Articles, 1971.  Box 135